The UK is set to leave the European Union on the 31st of October 2019. But after years of negotiations and changes to Prime Ministers will we still get the desired deal? And what ultimately is the desired deal?


There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding Brexit but regardless if we end up with a deal or no deal it is very likely that there will be some pretty big changes on the horizon. Therefor it is important that you keep up to date with the news about Brexit and ensure you continue to drive within the parameters of the law.

To keep up to date with the changes of Brexit, here are a few useful links:

Brexit updates:

Road freight updates:

DVLA email alerts:

DVSA email alerts: mail-alerts


Driving Licences and International driving permits

Under the current law you are required to hold a community licence alongside your standard international operators’ licence for journeys within the EU and EEA. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, then there is a chance that the community licence you hold might not be recognised if it was issued in the UK.

You may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU and EEA countries if there is a no deal Brexit. The IDP you will need will be dependent on the countries you will drive through.

You can see which licence is required here:


If you work for an EU company or want to work for one and have a UK Driver CPC qualification, then you should consider exchanging your UK Driver CPC qualification for an EU one. This will allow you to work for both EU and UK companies after Brexit.

You would need to exchange it before 31st October 2019 however, so you need to do it as soon as possible.



Your passport must have at least 6 months left and needs to be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left). If not, you will need to renew it if you’re travelling after a no-deal Brexit.


This information may change as we get closer to a Brexit deal, that means that its important to ensure you keep up to date with all the changes.



  • Share